Ahoy there! We are excited to share another #ActivateTalent story as part of our support for the American Talent Initiative. UCI is proud to join 86 other schools in a collected effort to help get more low income, high achieving students into college! One way to get future students excited about college is sharing real stories of existing students.

You may be wondering “how exactly do you Activate your Talent?” Well we after talking to our next inspiring individual, we figured it out. A lot of hard work is what will #ActivateTalent every time!

We were lucky enough to interview a force of nature named Valerie Nguyen — possibly our most personally motivating spotlight yet! Valerie is not only a Criminology, Law, and Society major but is simultaneously pursuing Psychology and Social Behavior. So hard work is definitely a part of her everyday life.

“So why did you choose to share your story with #ActivateTalent? Do you believe that talent knows no bounds? What surprising places have you found talented individuals?”

Valerie impassionately replied, “I believe that talent knows no bounds, period! I’ve worked with so many people who were constantly reminded by society that they aren’t capable or that they won’t make it — and guess what I’ve seen? I’ve coached athletes in Special Olympics who won several gold and silver medals. I’ve worked with people in prisons who have dreams that they wish to fulfill despite the years they have left to serve.

I’ve worked with children of indigenous migrants who face discrimination and a lack of resources, but still serve as the translator of their household and caretaker for their younger siblings at the age of 7. And  I’ve awarded honors in celebration of first-generation and low-income students who achieve in academics. I have seen so much hope in the most unlikely of places — and I have no doubt that success can follow determination and hard work.”

“Wow! That’s a ton of outreach and truly aspirational. What a testimony to the existence of bright talent in the darkest of places. Hard work and determination seem to be essential to your outlook on life. Can I ask where that came from? Can you share a story of adversity and how you overcame it?”

Nguyen was open enough to share that “Growing up as a first-generation student, I got used to the fact that sometimes I have to take matters into my own hands. My parents were born in Vietnam, and as a result, they are not proficient in English. I lived most of my educational career by reading all of the forms and contracts meant for parents, translating them, and applying for scholarships, loans, and to college on my own. I’ll admit it was scary, emotionally draining and overwhelming for me. What if I did it wrong? What if I didn’t get enough money? But guess what? I did what needed to be done.”

“First generation students are such an important part of the anteater family. No matter how hard the road was, I’m glad you made it here in the end. How do you apply all you’ve learned around campus?”

It was surprising to hear that for Valerie, “Despite not knowing a thing about college applications and acceptance, I did the complete opposite of what was expected of me in high school by becoming a College Peer Counselor. This required a skill I was pretty proficient in — learning things on my own. As a result, I was able to help others in the same situation I found myself in the years before. I realized that if you really want something, you just have to do it. Starting is probably the hardest part.”

“I’ve heard that you’re really active around campus outside of your role as a Peer Counselor. Can you talk a little about the impact you hope to make?”

Unsurprisingly insightful, Valerie answered, “I am the president of Chi Alpha Epsilon (XAE) National Honor Society at UC Irvine, which aims to support and honor high-achieving, first-generation and/or low-income students. About half of our undergraduates enrolled at UCI are first-generation and UCI was also recently recognized for their diversity in household incomes — including more students of lower-class backgrounds. Because statistics show that very few students with these particular backgrounds graduate with a degree (11% within 6 years according to the Huffington Post of a study done in 2008), our goal is to increase these numbers and celebrate those who have defied norms and statistics. We want to show these students that it is not impossible, that they have support, and that they are not alone.”

“Truly a celebration of inclusive excellence — creating a legacy of diversity if you will. That’s so important, and UCI is really lucky to have you around campus. I’m actually sad we’ve come to the end of our time here. Before we end, I have to ask whether you have any advice for those struggling to decide if college is worth it?”

Collecting her last thoughts, Valerie entreated, “Don’t be scared. There are people who walk our campus every day that have been told that they won’t succeed — until you see them graduate. There are so many people on this diverse campus with their own story and their own struggle, yet they still work hard to transcend what is expected of them.”

So what’s the trick to #ActivateTalent today? Making the choice to work hard every day. That’s what will #ActivateTalent. Okay, maybe it’s not THAT big of a secret. But it does bear repeating. Talent needs a lot of hard work to go the distance.

For more Valerie Nguyen, follow her now on Instagram @valeriepenguyen