Where does fulfilment in life come from? Can it be quantified in money or a successful career? Or is fulfilment something that’s different for every individual? Tamara Nabulsi, a recent UCI graduate, finds happiness in helping people.

UCI has joined the American Talent Initiative to put a spotlight on diverse students like Tamara, who #ActivateTalent and accomplish impressive feats despite oppressive circumstances. Tamara recently earned her Bachelor’s degree in Psychology and Social Behavior from UCI. Now, she’s applying to Master’s degree programs and working at Team Kids, a UCI-partnered nonprofit organization that focuses on “building positive assets for youth, and also protects against harmful behaviors, such as substance use, gang involvement, and delinquent activity” according to its mission statement.

Tamara values helping others above all else: “I’ve always had a passion for helping people” she said. “I think, being a Psychology major there was always the question of mental health. So, I kind of tied the two together and I would like to become a therapist or a counselor–really I’d just like to help people who need a little bit of guidance in their life. That’s my passion. That’s really my end goal.”

When she first entered into higher education, Tamara herself remembers needing guidance. She started younger than most, at the early age of 15, and had a tough time fitting in.

“It was really hard for me at the beginning” she said. “I mean, I was only 15. I didn’t know anything about college or preparing for my future, or fitting into an environment with people who are a lot more mature and have had a lot more experiences–people who have grown into themselves.”

With the help of her counselors and others close to her, Tamara eventually was able to adjust and succeed in the social environment which initially made her feel so unsure: “I had a huge support system: counselors, parents, friends, faculty” she said. “They all helped me get through it and then made me a lot more confident in a campus where I felt like I didn’t belong.”

During her time at community college, Tamara remembers how much joining student government also helped her fit into the new and daunting environment. She surrounded herself with like-minded people who wanted to take action and change what they were unhappy with, for everyone’s benefit.

“I got to work with a lot of students who had a passion and who had driven goals just like I did” said Tamara. “People who wanted to make a difference in any way that they could for their campus and for their fellow students.”

Even in community college–before she knew for sure what she wanted to do with her life–Tamara always sought fulfilment in helping others. So, it’s only a logical progression that she’s now working with Team Kids. Tamara interned with the nonprofit organization during her time at UCI, and now works at Team Kids part time.

Team Kids aims to inspire the next generation of students by reaching them at a young age. One way they do this is by going to elementary schools around Orange County and organizing/facilitating meetings for the kids to plan out carnival style fundraisers. The kids give up their lunch play-time for the meetings, during which they come up with their own games and choose a charity they most want to help out.

“Most of the time the kids would vote on CHOC [Children’s Hospital of Orange County] or animal shelters” said Tamara. “I think they have that sympathy towards other kids and the struggles they go through. They want to be able to help them out in any way that they can. It’s really heartwarming to see 5th and 6th graders want to help out other kids like that.”

With her penchant for helping others, it is easy to see why Tamara went back to Team Kids after college. Team Kids enable kids to help those who need it, teaching them early on the value of empathy, philanthropy and giving back to one’s community.

“It’s made me see life from a different point of view” Tamara said. “Working with a nonprofit like Team Kids has opened my heart to the possibility of doing something very rewarding in my life.”

Oftentimes, Team Kids targets low income communities to usher young students away from the trappings of poverty by means of teaching them the value of community and helping those in need. Team Kids introduces these at-risk children to firefighters and police officers to establish a positive relationship between the two parties. Rather than succumbing to their unfortunate circumstances, kids learn that authorities are not their enemies and that they are there for the good of the community.

For Tamara, these kids from low-income socioeconomic backgrounds have plenty to offer the world. They really just need the chance.

“A lot of students who don’t have many resources in their communities–especially in low-income areas–they just don’t have the resources to show their talents” said Tamara. “I think that’s kind of why people tend to discredit kids or students, individuals in low income communities. I mean, they aren’t given the opportunity to show their talents, to show what they can contribute.”

It has long been said that education is the key to escaping poverty. For many students though, the idea of going to college just isn’t realistic and thus doesn’t seem worth it.

Tamara had this wisdom to offer to students who may feel that way about college: “I don’t think you know the value of college until you’re in it. College can seem a bit scary or it could seem useless because people haven’t found their passion or haven’t found a field that they want to pursue, but I think college is really important because it can take people to a higher place. People can grow in college.”

Just look at all Tamara has accomplished and the value of college becomes apparent. She has grown tremendously as a person, set personal goals, discovered what she loves and now has a job doing exactly that.

Learn more about the American Talent Initiative and how to #ActivateTalent by reading more inspiring student stories or contact Tamara on her Instagram.