That’s right! I know you can’t believe your eyes but #ActivateTalent is back at it again. Today we’re telling you all about an amazing interview that answered one of our best questions yet: How do you #ActivateTalent in other people? It’s nice to hear stories of success, but how do you use that success to help people be their personal best?

Always up to a challenge, our very own Kendra Faraci showed us the way. Kendra is a Chicano and Latino Studies and Education Sciences major who makes a difference — large and small — around campus every day.

“I actually try to show how diverse this campus is through my outfits sometimes. For instance, I’ll wear my first-generation t-shirt around campus so people will come up to me and talk about their experiences. They’ll say hi and we’ll end up having a really great conversation about food or music — we always find something in common! I’m a first-generation student. My mother only attended high school in Mexico. That’s why I’m so thankful I have a way to reach out to other people and let them know they’re not alone.”

So Faraci’s first lesson in helping others #ActivateTalent? Show pride in who you are, and the talents you have. But more than that, it’s about helping others to do the same. After all, it only takes a minute to make someone else feel a little less alone. And campus can be a confusing place, especially for incoming students.

“I now work at the Transfer Student Hub so I’m trained in what resources look for and where to go to find help on campus. But coming in as a first year was very difficult — you’re just bombarded with emails about a million things to do. So it’s a matter of determining which ones you’ll really benefit from. That’s why it’s so great to get connected to the Transfer Hub. It’s a really relaxed setting — even the advisors are pretty laid back. But what’s really special is the sense of community that’s really great to find on campus.”

Now I don’t know about you, but getting connected to a network that supports success sounds like a pretty good idea to help #ActivateTalent in others. So our second tip to #ActivateTalent is to get plugged in to a community get the whole picture of what’s going on on campus. And Kendra is very well acquainted with adjusting to a new campus.

“At 27, I’m technically an adult learner, but I’m no stranger to college life. I have actually worked at and attended three different junior colleges already. These past few years really helped me learn a lot about myself. I found that I have a lot of drive to pursue my education. Not just my education — in fact, I’ve always been interested in educating others. I’ve been studying Early Child Development and have already been an ECD teacher and worked at ECD centers.”

Our third tip to #ActivateTalent in others might be that it takes time to find your passion and make sure it’s the right fit for you. Take the time to laser focus your passion so you can plot your path forward. Trust us, it’s worth thinking through. But what’s all this about Early Child Development and why is Kendra Faraci herself so passionate about it?

“ECD centers are separate from the public school system, and usually serve toddlers, preschool, and kindergarten aged kids. The great thing about ECD is that we tailor the curriculum to fit their individual developmental needs. It’s very hands-on and based on psychology and physiology so students still get to have fun with Play-Doh and all that good stuff.”

Our most important point yet may be number four to #ActivateTalent in others: find their hidden strengths and make those the starting lineup. Put the spotlight on unique talents to really help others shine. Everyone learns differently, and it’s important not to judge a fish by how well he climbs a tree.

“I truly believe that everyone has their own unique talent. People of a higher socioeconomic status might find their talents quicker or at different times in lives. But talent is not restricted to class, or color, or status. In higher education, you have the opportunity to thrive whether you were born into a high-income or a low-income family. The university is kind of an equalizer like that. Everyone has the opportunity to succeed. Talent is based on the individual and it’s unique to them but I have to say the UC system is a great place to showcase them.”

So far Kendra Faraci has taught us that to #ActivateTalent in others we have to

1. Show pride in identity
  2. Connect to community
  3. Take the time for talent
  4. Cultivate hidden strengths — which brings us to our last tip to #ActivateTalent
  5. Do not compare success

Just like talents are unique to everyone, no two success stories look the same. If anything, Kendra’s taught us how important it is to tune out the noise and find what makes you happy. And in this case, what makes Kendra happy is helping others — small and large — to #ActivateTalent of their own every day.

To keep up with what’s new in #ActivateTalent follow us on Facebook Instagram and Twitter. But if it’s more inspirational stories you’re after, head on over to WeAreUCI to read all about our amazing Anteaters.